Yes or No 疑問句改間接問句
| Be動詞 + 主詞 + …？ 主要子句 + whether/if + 主詞 + be動詞？ |
例：Is Jenny tall? Do you know whether/if Jenny is tall?
Is it raining outside? 外面在下雨嗎?
→I don’t know it is raining outside. 我不知道外面是否有下雨。
Yes-no疑問句中含助動詞do, does, did
| 助動詞 + 主詞 + 原形動詞 …？ 主要子句 + whether/if+主詞 + 動詞？ |
例：Does he open the window? Please tell me whether/if he opens the window.
1. Do you want to go swimming? 你想要去游泳嗎?
→ I’m not sure you want to go swimming. 我不確定你想要去游泳。
2. Did she turn off the lamp? 她有把檯燈關掉嗎?
→ Can you tell me if she turned off the lamp. 你可以告訴我她是否有把台燈關掉。
Yes-no疑問句中含和助動詞 will, can, should…或have/has + p.p.
|助動詞 + 主詞 + 原形動詞 …？ 主要子句 + whether/if + 主詞 + 助動詞+ 原形動詞？ |
例：Can the damage be reduced? Tell me whether/if the damage can be reduced.
Will they join the club? 他們有加入社團嗎?
→ I want to know they will join the club. 我想知道他們是否有加入社團。
Have you been to Japan? 你有去過日本嗎?
→I’m not sure you have been to Japan. 我不確定你是否有去過日本。
★ 比較1：引導間接問句的whether和if意思上相同，但不同的是，whether的子句可以加入”or not”，而if的子句通常不加。
I don’t know whether she likes me (or not). I don’t know if she likes me
當從屬連接詞if做「如果」解釋，要表達「未來」時，條件句(副詞子句)的動詞需用現在簡單式。例：If David joins the game tomorrow, we will win.
I don’t know if David will join the game tomorrow. 我不知道是否大衛明天將會參加比賽。
1. Peter wants to know. / Can he play basketball after school every day?
Peter wants to know whether/if he can play basketball after school every day.
2. Please tell me. / Is Tony going to have a birthday party tomorrow?
Please tell me whether/if Tony is going to have a birthday party tomorrow.
3. I’d like to know. / Does he play an important part in your life?
I’d like to know whether/if he plays an important part in your life.
4. I am not sure. / Can I ask some questions?
I am not sure whether/if I can ask some questions.
5. Please tell me. / Has he been to Hong Kong before?
Please tell me whether/if he has been to Hong Kong before.
6. I don’t know. / Did Ben go to the movies last night?
I don’t know whether/if Ben went to the movies last night.
7. I want to know. / Are you going to travel to New York?
I want to know whether/if you are going to travel to New York
8. Please tell us. / Do we have to leave now?
Please tell us whether/if we have to leave now
9. Mark wants to know. / Should he finish his report by Friday?
Mark wants to know whether/if he should finish his report by Friday
10. Mr. Brown asked. / Did Grace plan to study in America?
Mr. Brown asked whether/if Grace planned to study in America.