最後更新日期：2023 年 09 月 23 日
1. play truant = play hooky = skip class/school 逃學；蹺課
You must not skip class. 你絕不可蹺課。
2. turn down 拒絕；調低音量 turn up 調高音量；出現/席
They turned me down.他們拒絕我了。
Please turn down the radio.請將收音機關小聲一點。
3. turn in = hand in = submit 繳交
You must turn in your paper before the deadline.
4. turn off 關掉 turn on 打開
Turn off the lights before you go to bed.上床之前關掉燈。
5. under way 在進行中
Preparations for a big celebration are under way.
6. ups and downs = rise and fall 興衰
I have experienced the ups and downs of life.
7. up to sb. 由某人決定
It’s (all) up to you.全由你決定。
8. with one voice = to a man 異口同聲；全體一致
We exclaimed with one voice.我們異口同聲地高呼起來。
9. be versed in = be good/skilled at = be at home in 精通
She is good at watercolor painting.她精通水彩畫 。
10. with a view to + O 為了要
We moved to Taipei with a view to receiving a better education.
1. be vital to + O = be essential to/for + O 對~極重要
Air, food and water are vital to man’s survival.空氣、食物和水對人類的生存極為重要。
2. pose a threat to + O 對~構成威脅
Polluted air poses a threat to our health.
3. on one’s way to + N 在去~的途中 on one’s way + adv.
I’m on my way to the airport.我在去機場的途中。
He is on his way home.他在回家的途中。
4. stand in one’s/the way 阻礙
You are standing in my way.你擋著我的路了。
5. by the way 順便提及；喔！對了
By the way, do you want a cup of coffee?
6. by way of = via 經由
He flew to New York by way of Tokyo.
7. under the weather 不舒服
I feel a little bit under the weather today. 我今天覺得不太舒服。
8. contract + 病 = be infected with + 病
He is infected with malaria.他感染了瘧疾。
9. eat/swallow one’s words 取消前言；承認口誤
He said that no one could beat him at tennis , but he had to eat his words after losing several games.
10. in other words 換句話說
You can’t stay here; in other words, you have to leave now.
1. work out 解決；完成；運動
The situation worked out quite well.情況到最後相當不錯。
2. make one’s mouth water 使人垂涎
The dessert makes my mouth water.那點心引人垂涎三尺。
3. walk out on 遺棄
Her husband walked out on her and the kids.她的丈夫遺棄了她和孩子。
4. be up to sth. 圖謀不軌
I suspect that he is up to something.我懷疑他圖謀不軌。
5. be present in 存在於
Calcium is present in many kinds of food, such as milk and cheese.
6. be burdened with (沉重地)負荷著
I am burdened with heavy studies and endless tests.
7. turn one’s stomach = turn sb. off 倒~的胃口
That lousy movie really turned my stomach.
8. come to one’s senses = come to (oneself ) 甦醒
He finally came to his senses and found himself in the hospital.
9. in (one’s/the) pursuit of 追求
He is lost in his pursuit of wealth and fame.他迷失在追求名利中。
10. have a preference for + O 偏好
I have a preference for French cuisine.
1. bear in mind = keep in mind = remember 牢記在心
Always bear in mind that honesty is the best policy.
2. beat around/about the bush 拐彎抹角；聲東擊西
Just tell me what you want. Don’t beat around/about the bush.
3. become of +人= happen to +人 發生；遭遇
What will become of the pro-democracy students and civilians?
4. be becoming to + O 適合~；與~相稱= be suitable for + O
This hair style is very becoming to you.這髮型很適合你。
5. get out of bed on the wrong side 心情不好；不對勁= be in a bad mood
What’s wrong with you? Did you get out of bed on the wrong side today?
6. on behalf of sb.= on sb.’s behalf 代表
I wrote this letter on behalf of my father.我代表我父親寫這封信。
7. behind schedule 落後；遲到
The train arrived behind schedule.那火車遲到了。
8. leave behind 遺忘；忘記帶走
Have we left anything behind?我們有否遺忘什麼?
9. lag behind = fall behind 落後
Nancy was tired and lagged behind.Nancy 因疲倦而落後了。
10. leave out 遺漏；缺漏；冷落
Sorry, I left out the most important point.抱歉，我遺漏了最重要的一點。
1. make believe = pretend 假裝
He made believe that he was innocent.他假裝自己是清白的。
2. believe it or not 信不信由你
Believe it not, I saw a UFO last night.信不信由你，我昨晚見到幽浮。
3. to (the best of) my knowledge 據我所知
To the best of my knowledge, he wants to start all over again.據我所知，他想重新開始。
4. between you and me = between ourselves 你我之間；守秘
Don’t let on. It’s between you and me.不要洩密。你我之間知道就好了。
5. a/the black sheep 害群之馬；敗家子
Harry is the black sheep of the family.Harry 是家裡的敗家子。
6. beyond description 無法描述(筆墨難以形容)
beyond compare 無與倫比
beyond doubt 無庸置疑
beyond repair 無法修復
beyond remedy 無藥可救
The scenery is beyond description.風景美的筆墨難以形容。
The damage caused by super typhoon Wayne was beyond measure.
7. black and blue 瘀青的
He was beaten black and blue.他被打得青一塊、紫一塊。
8. a wet blanket 掃興的人
Don’t be such a wet blanket!不要做一個如此掃興的人。
9. bit by bit = little by little = gradually = by degrees 漸漸地
The ruling party is losing ground bit by bit.
10. a blessing in disguise 塞翁失馬
Don’t you understand that it turned out to be a blessing in disguise?
- sth occurs to sb 某人想到
- How about ving? 你認為…如何?
- adapt 適應 adopt 採用 adept 內行
- blow one’s mind 意思 mind 相關片語
- Own 用法 of one’s own /on one’s own
- Thanks, but no thanks 謝謝，不必了
- be sick of sth 厭倦了…受夠了英文怎麼說
- 動物慣用語英文 as…as…像~一樣
- 眼睛相關的英文片語 not bat an eye
- not give sb the time of day 不理睬某人